Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Day 4

Driving stats~
Time: 10 hours, 50 minutes
Miles: 596
Road work sites passed: 6
Statistics forgotten: 1
Weather: Overcast but fair, an occasional touch of snow

Wow, we made it! I was so done with being in the car, I can only imagine how tired my amazing driver was. We slept in a little longer than we had originally planned, but I'm sure we needed it to stay happy enough on the road!

We drove through Kentucky, and unfortunately still did not like the roads at all. But we listened to great music and got through it, and ended up in West Virginia for lunch. It was this tiny little town a few miles off the highway, situated right by the Elk River, and we went to the family restaurant which I believe was called Century Inn. To be honest, I'm not even entirely certain Sutton was the name of the town...it was quite tiny and fairly nondescript, just another small town among several.
It was interesting experiencing such a different pace of life, the place was empty and the service slow, but they had a ribeye steak for $9.99, which I ordered but they were out of. So I got a Belgian waffle with bacon (if you haven't noticed I like bacon, I like bacon quite a lot), and a bowl of oatmeal. He ordered the roast beef with gravy, mashed potatoes and corn, and praised the corn quite highly. If you don't mind taking your time for a meal, it was good solid food and I think we would give it just under two thumbs up. We also got a doggy bag of assorted fudges and cookies, and some chocolate covered pretzel rods for the road, which are some of our favourite so that was great too!

We got back on the road semi-reluctantly, but spurred on by the idea of finally being home. We finished our drive through West Virginia with not much of note occurring, except it seemed to have a great deal more bridges than anywhere we've been so far. There were mountains and it was pretty, and there was a lot of road work--though I suppose in the long run that's better than just exceptionally awful roads, because at least it means they're working on it, right?

We moved into Maryland, which was so exciting for us! Everything really is relative, we had three or four hours left and were grinning that we were so close. By the time we got through the mountains we still had two hours left but decided we'd be there in no time at all, I was counting down with one eye on the clock the entire time. I'm sure it was worse for him, because he knew the area and knew just how close he was! I could swear the clock held steady for minutes at a time, just taunting me. Don't get me wrong, I love this man and spending time with him, and I enjoyed our roadtrip, but there comes a point when you are simply done. Luckily, we made it his family's safe and sound, and with energy to spare! Saying hello to everyone and unpacking the car--especially bringing in all the Christmas presents to put under the fantastical tree--made it all pretty worth it.

Now just the trip back...
But we won't think about that yet.

Merry Christmas and a very happy, low-stress holiday season to everyone I can't be with this year! I love all my friends and family, and friends that are family--I hope you each stay safe (especially if traveling) and have a wonderful time enjoying it all!

No comments:

Post a Comment